8 questions with Tom Becka!


Ready for some advice from the professionals?  Look no further!  This edition of "8 Questions" features Tom Becka - a multi-talented media legend. Radio?  Yep. TV? Of course. The man has opinions and lots of advice for new broadcasters.  Here's 8 questions with Becka! 


Brief Career synopsis: 
Been in it too long to be brief..  Worked a number of part time jobs at Omaha radio stations in all formats until I got a full time gig at a Country DJ in Green River Wyoming in 1976.  Worked a few other markets until I got into radio sales.  I did that for a number of years until I became a sales manager at age 30 at KKSS radio in Albuquerque.  About that time I started doing stand up comedy.  I eventually quit the sales manager gig and went on the road for five years as a stand up comic. I played 45 states and opened for people like Seinfeld, Kinnison, and the band Chicago.   When the road got old I came back to Omaha and started my 25 years as a radio talk show host.  I spent most of that time in Omaha at KFAB and KOIL but five years was spent in Kansas City at KMBZ.   For the last 3 ½ years I have been at Fox 42 doing a commentary called “ Becka’s Beat” 


Current title: 
Host of Becka’s Beat on the Fox 42 News.

1) What made you want to do this for a living? 
I always wanted to be in some form of communication and the first time I walked into a radio studio I just knew it was meant to be.

2) As a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
 A drummer in a rock band.

3) What is the biggest challenge facing your industry? 
Corporate ownership. Losing the local control.

4)  5 WORDS OR LESS - What is the most brutal part of your job? 
Dealing with corporate.

5) 5 WORDS OR LESS - What is the best part of your job? 
Connecting with people

6) What is the biggest misconception about your job? 
That I only work a few hours a day.

7) Fill in the blank ...“The problem with newbies is they don’t know...
 what they don’t know.

8) What industry related skill/software do you wish you knew more about? 
I wish I knew how to monetize the new media better. 

Comments

Popular Posts