Time for 8 questions with...Jill Marshall!



Brief Career synopsis: I started as in intern at 92.9 The Eagle and 106.3 The Blaze in Lincoln in January of 1999. I was eventually hired part time weekends on the air at the Eagle, Blaze and KISSFM. In 2004 I took over 7p-Midnight on 104.1 The Blaze - full time along with helping with promotions, which I did until August of last year. 11 of those years I also scheduled commercial traffic. I’ve been at B107.3 since August of last year.


Current title: Music Director and Afternoons 2p-7p at KBBK B107.3

What made you want to do this for a living?
I took at tour of the Eagle when I was in the 7th grade. I walked in the studio and just knew this is what I wanted to do.

As a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
I always knew I wanted to work in radio, but I also wanted to do play by play for the Atlanta Braves on the side.

What is the biggest challenge facing your industry? 
Lack of budget, which means lack of staff. You have to be able to do multiple jobs because there aren’t enough people to cover them all.

5 WORDS OR LESS - What is the most brutal part of your job?
Last minute projects

5 WORDS OR LESS - What is the best part of your job?
Meeting appreciative listeners

What is the biggest misconception about your job?
The biggest misconception about my job is that all I do is sit in a studio playing whatever music I want. People don’t realize to be in radio you have to do multiple jobs, often multitasking while you’re trying to do your air shift. There is always a lot going on behind the scenes.

Fill in the blank ...“The problem with newbies is they don’t know how....
hard you have to work, and that you have to work your way up to the cool perks. Nothing will be handed to you. You need to learn how to do everything (even the stuff that isn’t fun) and show the people that have been doing this forever that you want to be there. My biggest piece of advice for newbies is to LEARN HOW TO DO EVERYTHING because chances are good you’ll be doing several jobs. Learn promotions, traffic, production, multiple genres of stations. The more versatile you are the more valuable you are.

What industry related skill/software do you wish you knew more about?
Imaging!! I’ve worked with some amazing people who were a whiz at doing imaging. I’m just starting to learn how to do it, and I wish I had their skills and know-how in the editing software.

Comments

Popular Posts